You may encounter several technical errors while using your Chevy Silverado. In the case of automobile technology, different types of technical problems are expressed through different types of codes. The code P0442 is notable among them.
The code P0442 mainly occurs in case of faults in your Silverado’s Evaporative Emission Control (EVAP) system. However, you can diagnose this problem through some notable symptoms.
If you take appropriate steps later, you will be able to get rid of the P0442 error code. So let us know the details of the P0442 code and find out the solution.
- 1 What Does P0442 Code Mean On Chevy?
- 2 Symptoms Of Getting The P0442 Code On Chevy Silverado
- 3 The Causing Factors Of The Error Code P0442
- 4 How Serious Is Code P0442 On Chevy Silverado?
- 5 How To Solve P0442 Error Code On Chevy Silverado?
- 6 How Much Does It Cost To Solve The Error Code P0442 On Chevy Silverado?
- 7 Common Mistakes While Solving The P0442 Code
- 8 Additional Comments To Consider Regarding The P0442 Code
- 9 Conclusion
What Does P0442 Code Mean On Chevy?
Technically, the P0442 error code means one or more leaks have been detected on your truck’s EVAP system. As a result, the system is not working properly.
The main function of the EVAP system is to send the petroleum that has evaporated from the petroleum tank to the intake manifold of the engine for ignition during the normal combustion process.
If the EVAP system leaks for any reason, the process is not completed successfully. When your truck’s Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects a leak in the system, it displays the P0442 error code.
Symptoms Of Getting The P0442 Code On Chevy Silverado
If the code P0442 appears on your Silverado, several common symptoms arise. But the good news is that all of these symptoms are visible. As a result, it will not be difficult for you to identify the code.
Symptoms related to the P0442 code are:
- The engine light is on;
- The smell of gasoline can be found when the truck is parked somewhere;
- In the case of some trucks, the notification dashboard shows that the fuel cap is open;
- Having trouble filling the gas tank.
These points are common symptoms of the P0442 error code. If these symptoms occur in your truck, you should understand that it is infected with the code.
The Causing Factors Of The Error Code P0442
The P0442 error code may appear on your Silverado for many reasons. However, in this article, you will be able to know the details of the most common reasons.
- Faulty Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor: If the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor in your truck is damaged, the PCM will not get the correct reading, which will show the P0442 error code in your dashboard.
- Perforated or Blocked Fuel Vapor Hose: The code P0442 error can be seen if the hose through which EVAP carries the evaporated fuel to your truck’s fuel tank is leaked or blocked.
- Damaged Vapor Canister Purification Valve: P0442 A faulty Vapor Canister Purge Valve is the most responsible for the trouble code. When this valve breaks, your car lags in terms of performance and slows down. The problem persists even after you fill the fuel tank.
- Bad or Open or Loose Fuel Cap: If your truck’s fuel cup is open or bed or loose, the error code may appear. In this case, there will be a continuous warning on the dashboard of your truck that there is a problem with the fuel cap.
- Leaked fuel tank: If your Silverado’s fuel tank leaks, the evaporative fuel pressure will go out. As a result, the EVAP system will not work properly. The PCM then sends you a P0442 error code warning.
How Serious Is Code P0442 On Chevy Silverado?
Like other check engine lights, you should take the necessary action as soon as possible after the P0442 error code has been identified. Immediately seek the help of a skilled and professional mechanic to monitor your truck. It means that the error code is not so serious at the initial stage.
How To Solve P0442 Error Code On Chevy Silverado?
Since we know all the symptoms of the code P0442, we now consider the solutions to those problems:
If There Is a Problem With the Vapor Canister Purge Valve-
In case of Vapor Canister Purge Valve problems, you must go to a skilled mechanic because it is a delicate job. You can buy one type of valve testing tool from different types of outlet shops and online.
If a small problem is caught, it can be fixed. However, in case of major problems, it would be better to change the canister valve completely.
If the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Is Damaged-
There are two types of problems that can occur with the fuel tank pressure sensor. The first is the connection problem of the sensor. In this case, if the connection is loose or open, plug it in again.
If the connection is short, replace it. The second problem, on the other hand, is the deterioration of the fuel tank pressure sensor. In this case, you may have to completely replace the sensor.
In Case of Problems With Fuel Vapor Hose-
If the fuel vapour hose leaks, the problem can be solved by sealing. On the other hand, if the fuel vapour hose is blocked, remove it and clean it well. Then reattach it.
In Case of Problems in Fuel Cap-
If there is any serious defect in the fuel cap of your truck, replace it. In most cases, however, the fuel cap is loosened or opened. In this case, the problem will be solved only by tightening the cap.
If the Fuel Tank Leaks-
You can use a gas tank sealer or epoxy putty to fix the fuel tank leak. These solutions help a lot in repairing minor leaks. However, if your mechanic finds a deep wound in the fuel tank, replace it completely instead of sealing it.
How Much Does It Cost To Solve The Error Code P0442 On Chevy Silverado?
Where you decide to monitor your truck and the method by which you fix the problem will depend on how much your total cost may be. However, for your convenience, below is a list of possible costs:
- 20 to 50 dollars for a gas cap;
- 50 to 100 dollars for EVAP line replacement;
- 150 to 220 dollars for Charcoal Canister Vent Control Valve;
- 160 to 220 dollars for EVAP Purge Volume Control Valve;
- 250 to 600 dollars for a complete replacement of the Charcoal Canister.
Common Mistakes While Solving The P0442 Code
Most people think that just changing the loose gas cap is enough for the P0442 code. Therefore, they only change the gas cap without complete observation.
You will get more benefits in such problems if you have the technical service bulletin facility of the truck manufacturing company. So be sure to find out if your truck has any such bulletin service.
Additional Comments To Consider Regarding The P0442 Code
The P0442 error code has nothing to say as an additional comment. However, in case of replacement of any type of part, make sure that it is not unauthorized. Always try to maintain the authorized parts even if it costs a little more.
If a mechanic is needed in any case, you must first find out if he is skilled and professional. An incompetent mechanic will make your car problem worse and your costs will be in vain.
All the details related to the P0442 error code are described in the above article. If you have a general knowledge of the code and follow the steps above, you will be able to easily identify and fix your Chevy Silverado’s P0442 problem.